Monday, June 04, 2007

Converting myself and my Tecra to Vista

Since my Toshiba Tecra M4 has been working for ages without being treated with  a fresh install, I finally decided that it was time to:

  1. Perform a fresh install, since the machine had become a bit slow and sluggish
  2. See if I could try a Vista install and check if I could trick Visual Studio 2003 into running on Vista.
  3. If section two failed, install Windows XP and pretend I didn't listen to any of the 2 million other developers out there telling me that this wouldn't work.

So, after a while of thinking and planning, I went ahead:

  1. Identifyed all the files on my computer that needed to be backed up
  2. Backed up all the files that I found to an external harddrive
  3. Double checked and tripple checked the above sections
  4. Downloaded and collected all the necessary drivers and software from Toshiba and others
  5. Installed Windows Vista

This all went well, except for the face that I got rather ill in the middle of the process due to an allergic reaction. This was of course a bit bad, sitting with a computer with no OS and no software..

In my next post I'll tell you how it went after I got the OS up and running!

No comments: