Since my Toshiba Tecra M4 has been working for ages without being treated with a fresh install, I finally decided that it was time to:
- Perform a fresh install, since the machine had become a bit slow and sluggish
- See if I could try a Vista install and check if I could trick Visual Studio 2003 into running on Vista.
- If section two failed, install Windows XP and pretend I didn't listen to any of the 2 million other developers out there telling me that this wouldn't work.
So, after a while of thinking and planning, I went ahead:
- Identifyed all the files on my computer that needed to be backed up
- Backed up all the files that I found to an external harddrive
- Double checked and tripple checked the above sections
- Downloaded and collected all the necessary drivers and software from Toshiba and others
- Installed Windows Vista
This all went well, except for the face that I got rather ill in the middle of the process due to an allergic reaction. This was of course a bit bad, sitting with a computer with no OS and no software..
In my next post I'll tell you how it went after I got the OS up and running!